Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pa rum pum pum pum


On Tuesday, November 25, 2008, The Almost released their five song EP, titled "No Gift to Bring."  Around 12:30 a.m. on the 25th, half an hour after it had been released, I had it purchased from iTunes and sitting in my music library.

I must say, I was very pleased with what I heard.  The track listing is as follows:
  1. Awful Direction
  2. Little Drummer Boy
  3. Amazing (Because it is) Full Version
  4. Your Love is Extravagant
  5. Dirty and Left Out (McTague-Lectro Version)
Awful Direction is their only new song on the album.  It is entirely acoustic (a simple guitar and drum set) which sets the mood for the rest of the album.  Lines like, "I've been wrong, I've been right, but tonight, I just want to be Yours," are straight from the heart and reflect the struggles of a life faithful to God.

The Little Drummer Boy version is one of the best I've heard (I guess I really haven't heard that many versions, but you catch my drift).  It has a unique rhythm and Aaron Gillespie's voice adds a new flavor.

Tracks 3 and 5 were on the previous album, Southern Weather, but this time with a new twist.  The electric sensation of Dirty and Left Out caught me off guard but I am really warming up to it.  

Your Love is Extravagant has always been one of my favorite praise songs, so to see The Almost cover it this Christmas season is very refreshing.

Well done guys.

photo courtesy of fye.com

No comments: