Monday, November 17, 2008

Finally, another open mic

Last Thursday was the first open mic on campus in the last two semesters.  I love coming out and just playing my guitar and singing, so to be able to do that again was a lot of fun. 

 Normally, there is no prize for the winner, but this time there was, and there was a catch to it.  The event was also a food drive.  The audience voted for their favorite performer with non-perishable food or money that would go toward food.  Here is a blog that talks more about it.

The cool thing...I won.  I started off with "Beautiful," by Shawn McDonald.  Throughout the week, I had been practicing it, and when my suitemates found out I was playing it, they immediately assumed it was James Blunt's "Beautiful."  So, since I had time to play two songs, I played "Beautiful" again.  It was quite the contrast in sounds and moods.  (Disclaimer: I don't really like James Blunt, but I've been told I have a good impersonation of the British singer and it's funny to sing in falsetto.)

My prize was a $25 iTunes card.  I kinda wished it was cash.  I probably would have just given it back to them to go towards food.  I don't really use iTunes.  Maybe I can sell it to someone for 20 bucks or something.  But anyways, it was loads of fun and there had better be more in the future!

No comments: