Friday, November 7, 2008

Above the Golden State



















In July 2008, Portland Christian-rock band Above the Golden State released their debut album.  It typically takes bands a few CD's before they reach that breaking point.  I have a feeling it won't be the same for these guys.  Their self titled album has only been out for a few months and is getting great reviews.

Whenever I buy CD's, I typically like to have listened to at least a few of the band's songs prior to purchasing, or I'll take a recommendation from a very trusted ear.  But this past weekend, I heard about 45 seconds of one of their songs playing through a loudspeaker and knew it would be a great CD.  So I bought it.  And I haven't been let down.  Their west coast rock/pop sound is unique and very appealing.

Songs like "Love," which fades right into the next track, "Chapter 13," (indicating the scripture in 1 Corinthians 13) really resonate with me.  There's more to that scripture than just great lines to read at a wedding, and Above the Golden State really brings that out through their music.

Here are a couple example: "Gaze Into Your Eyes" and "The Sound of Your Name"

I look forward to wearing out this CD and sitting in waits for a new release.

No comments: