Tuesday, November 11, 2008


If you'll recall last Tuesday, I made a post about how musically filled my weekend was.  I mentioned how I heard Starfield perform, that they were "up-and-coming" and then had to retract my statement because that are already well-known.  Well, I have to do it again.

In the post, I didn't even mention hearing Matt Maher.  Why?  Because I thought he was just some guy that they chose to lead praise and worship.  I assume that he's a modest guy and wouldn't want me to hype him up as more than just a guy singing and playing his guitar, but I really undermined his successes.

As I browse my google reader looking for ideas, I kept seeing his name for winning awards.  The name sounded familiar so I looked at an article and realized it was the same dude.  Maher has recently won two awards for his work.  The first award received was for "Praise and Worship Album of the Year" for his album "Empty and Beautiful" at the Covenant Awards 30th Anniversary.  That's quite the prize considering other praise and worship artists such as Chris Tomlin and Charlie Hall - not that any of it is a competition for them.  The second award, received a day later, was for "Artist of the Year" at the 9th annual Unity Awards.

One of Maher's popular works, "Your Grace is Enough," was released on "Empty and Beautiful" and was also recorded by Chris Tomlin, who seems to sing just about every praise and worship song these days.

So, along with Starfield, Mercy Me, David Crowder, and Shane and Shane, I also got to enjoy Matt Maher.  Dang, that was quite the weekend.

photo courtesy of CMSpin

No comments: