Sunday, October 19, 2008

There's Something About a Campfire...

...that makes music more enjoyable.  This past weekend, I was on a retreat with some of my fellow members of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.  We were staying at a hunting cabin just a bit out of Marietta, but surrounded by beauty.  On Friday, we had an old fashioned dinner of burgers on the grill and dogs over the fire.  When it came time for dessert (smores of course), I decided to accompany the festivity with some guitar playing.

Things started off great.  I was playing praise and worship songs and everyone was singing along.  Sooner than later, much sooner, my fingers started to get cold.  Pretty soon, I couldn't feel them.  But that didn't stop me from playing.  People kept requesting songs, so I kept playing them.  Yes, it was tough, even painful when I drug the side of my finger instead of the pick across the strings because I had no feeling.  But that was some of the most enjoyable guitar playing I have ever done.  We all seemed to sound like a chorus of angels, yet we were far from it.  

Eventually I stopped, but only because smore time was over and everyone wanted to head in for some warmth.  But if I could head back outside with that same group of people and play those same songs in that same cold weather, I wouldn't hesitate in doing so.  I started the post with this and I'll end with it...

There's something about a campfire that makes music more enjoyable.

No comments: