Friday, October 10, 2008

Music to Michigan

Fall break has finally arrived.  I've been planning a trip to Grand Rapids, Michigan for a while now to visit a friend from camp, so I'm glad to finally be here.  It was a seven hour drive (10-5) and there's no way I could have done it without music.  I can't really do anything without music.  I thought I might let you in on what was blaring in my car and how I felt about it.

1.  Shane and Shane - Pages
A great way to start the trip.  It was already in my CD player so I didn't even have to decide.  The two Shane's write the best lyrics and their guitar playing abilities blow me away.  Truly one of the best CDs.

2.  Anberlin - Cities
A quite a bit different from the acoustic duo on Shane and Shane.  This CD stood the test of time at camp this past summer and I hadn't listened to it since.  "Inevitable" and "Patron Saint of Lost Causes" are must listens.

3.  Relient K - Five Score and Seven Years Ago
I finally listened to the last song, "Deathbed," all the way through.  I may have before, but if I did, I never paid attention.  It's a bit weird at first, but then tells of the great redemptive love of Jesus.

4.  The Almost - Southern Weather
Of course I had to listen to this CD.  I already bragged about it in a previous post.  Once 
again, "Dirty and Left Out" and "Amazing (Because it is)" blow me away.  I love when Aaron goes into a unique version of "There's Something About That Name" and "Amazing Grace" in both songs respectively.

*Before The Almost finished playing, it started to skip too much and there's nothing worse than having to alter your singing because the CD won't cooperate.  So I turned off the CD
 player and what was playing?  Gwen Stefani's "The Sweet Escape," best known for its choruses of Woooohooooo, woooohooooo.  I didn't feel too masculine as I sang "I could be your favorite girl" but I really didn't feel like changing the station.

5.  Switchfoot - A Beautiful Letdown
I forgot I had this CD.  And why not listen to it since I just wrote about it.  My favorite might be "Twenty-four."  Five years down the road, it is still a very solid CD.  I forgot how many popular ones were on there - oh yeah - six on the Best Of CD.

6.  DC Talk - Greatest Hits (which one?)
Again, another greatest hits CD, the one I mentioned in the Switchfoot post.  But it is such a GREAT CD.  Talk about old school.  "Luv is a Verb" just makes you want to dance in an absurd out of synch way.  The raps are classic because we all know that Toby Mac is "flowin' like a bottle of Drain-O."  And then there's the contrast of "My Will" which is a mirror of what I'd like to live out.

7.  OAR - All Sides
I'm not too familiar with this CD yet, but it's solid.  It was the only CD I couldn't sing along with very well, but I'm getting there.  "Stories of a Stranger" was a pretty good CD, but All Sides trumps it.  More of the classic brass instruments are used giving it a brighter sound.

Four days from now I'll be making the 7-hour trek back to Marietta.  I can't wait to see what music is in store for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.