Wednesday, September 3, 2008

New Kids Aren't Too Old For Music

New Kids on the Block, the teen heartthrobs who sold 70 million albums in the 80s, are at it once again. The quintet launched their new album, "The Block," just yesterday (September 2nd) and will kick off their world tour on September 20th in Montreal, Quebec. Apparently, 15 years away from the biz was a bit too much for them.



I don't really know how to react to this. My initial reaction, which I will explain momentarily, was, "Seriously?" coupled with a sigh of disproval and a head shake. Now that I've thought it over, my reaction is more along the lines of, "Whatever" and a feeling of apathy. For some reason, I reacted negatively. Perhaps this is just because my knowledge of them (through pictures and stories) made them out to be a bunch of style-less goofs. But not so much anymore (notice the sleek, clean-shaven, business man look). I'd say a bigger reason I was turned off by them was because they made plenty of room for N'Sync and Backstreet Boys. Those guys were cool...at a time when yo-yos and Gigapets were also in.

But now, I say, "Hey, go for it." Honestly, it isn't as if I'm going to monitor their success - or lack there of. They have written plenty of new songs, so it won't just be a greatest hits tour. I've never really listened to them, so I can't criticize. Overall, I just kind of a get a chuckle from the whole thing. Go NKOTB!

No comments: